Troopers were the primary Badnik used in Doctor Ivo Robotnik's occupation of Mobius: checkpoints, prisoner detail, law enforcement, and attacks on Freedom Fighters were all tasks for the Troopers. Unlike normal Badniks, the Troopers did not contain any organic batteries. They also showed a greater degree of intelligence than many normal Badniks, showing fear, arrrogance, confusion, and a malicious delight in enforcing Robotnik's laws.
Large and humanoid in shape, they vaguely resembled humans in armour. Normally, Troopers would carry a variety of guns and were a purple/red colour, with grey faces. A number of Troopers differed from this model, but all possessed a distinctive set of fangs on their lower jaw. As well as working for Robotnik, it was implied that these models were able to be licensed by other companies to use as security guards, but as it was the Marxio Brothers, at the time under Robotnik's employ, who declared this, it is up for some debate.
An elite unit of modified Troopers, the Special Badnik Service, would be used in severe crises. The dreaded Commander Brutus rose from the SBS ranks to become second-in-command of Mobius. As Brutus tightened his grip on Mobius and his master, Robotnik's Troopers decided to side for Brutus in their entirity and were only too happy to follow his order to eradicate all organic lifeforms.
When Robotnik was deposed, the Troopers ceased to be used. When he returned as a Drakon Empire proxy during The Battle For Mobius, however, both the original Troopers and a new model were used in his first attack.
The first Trooper to show any kind of personality was in a throwaway Christmas strip that saw one accompany a Robotnik decoy (actually a bomb) to a Green Hill Zone party. After drinking too much oil, the Trooper confessed that his master was a weapon in time for Sonic the Hedgehog to dispose of it. Interestingly, this Trooper was not actually seen to be smashed.
Clive the Donkey dressed as one to threaten the Wood Village Zone and convince the inhabitants that he isn't a wimp. Unfortunately, a mix-up with Tails saw Clive flee into a real Trooper squadron, leading to the pair of them being captured. Clive used his engineering know-how to free them and confessed his crimes to his victims.
Jade Hill Zone resident Roger Bodge fixed up a destroyed Trooper so that it would be his butler. The robot came anew with a lick of golden paint and a modified teapot-arm. However, his original programming kicked back in upon seeing Sonic. The fight would have been straightforward had Bodge's DIY not been shoddy. Fortunately for Sonic, the Trooper's new programming conflicted with his mission and caused him to self-destruct, destroying Bodge's home.
A prototype series of Trooper was being constructed under the Emerald Hill Zone, but none were ever completed. Pringle learned of these and fooled Sonic into bringing one under his control, but the Trooper served only Robotnik. Unique about this Trooper was a capability to harness an organic battery, which he nearly achieved with Pringle, but was crushed by a falling ceiling.
Named Troopers like Brutus and Predicto are not featured here.
This is an extensive list of all appearances by Troopers. If you feel it warrants its own page, please discuss it on the article's Talk page.
- Issue 9 - Back to Reality
- Issue 10 - Megatox
- Issue 16 - Happy Christmas Doctor Robotnik
- Issue 18 to Issue 19 - Casino Night
- Issue 21 to Issue 22 - Girl Trouble
- Issue 24 - The Sonic Terminator
- Issue 30 - Metamorphia
- Issue 32 to Issue 33 - No More Mr. Nice Bug
- Issue 37 to Issue 38 - Robotnik's Revenge
- Issue 39 to Issue 40 - Carnival Night Conspiracy
- Issue 42 - A Day in the Life of Doctor Robotnik
- Issue 43 to Issue 44 - Badniks Bridge
- Issue 46 - The Big Con
- Issue 47 to Issue 48 - Captain Plunder & His Sky Pirates
- Issue 51 - Face From the Past
- Issue 55 to Issue 56 - The Great Escape!
- Issue 63 to Issue 66 - Project Brutus
- Issue 63 to Issue 67 - Cybernik Strikes Back
- Issue 67 and Issue 71 - The Return of Chaotix
- Issue 69 to Issue 72 - Brute Force
- Issue 73 - Spinball Wizard
- Issue 74 - Mission to the Metropolis Zone
- Issue 75 - Smokey and the Badnik
- Issue 76 - The Big Decision
- Issue 77 - Voice of the People
- Issue 78 - Plasma
- Issue 79 to Issue 82 - Revolution
- Issue 80 - Running Wild
- Issue 80 - Fleabyte Returns
- Issue 82 - Changing Times
- Issue 85 - Scream Theme Park
- Issue 85 to Issue 86 - Trooper Trouble
- Issue 86 to Issue 88 - Future Shock
- Issue 87 - Easy Target
- Issue 90 - Secret Weapon
- Issue 93 - Season of Goodwill
- Issue 94 - Roots
- Issue 96 - Mock the Doc
- Issue 97 - Boiling Point
- Issue 98 - Victims
- Issue 98 - Solidarity
- Issue 99 - No Exit
- Issue 100 - The Final Victory
- Issue 103 - DIY Danger
- Issue 127 - Amy's Secret Past
- Issue 128 - Show of Strength
- Issue 128 - Robotnik Reigns Supreme
- Issue 140 - The Forgotten Badnik
Sonic the Comic Online
- Issue 227 - R.B.R
- Sonic the Poster Mag 2006 - Guardian Of The Ice Palace
- Issue 250 - The Battle For Mobius
- Issue 252 - Visa Vixen
- Issue 254 - Vane Hopes
- Issue 256 - Master of All I Survey
- Issue 258 to Issue 259 - Sky Chase
- Christmas Special 2012 - The Christmas Shift
- Issue 260 - Libra
- Issue 261 - To the Hero of Mobius
Sonic the Comic
- Trooper at Sonic News Network, the Sonic Wiki