Richard Elson is an artist best known for his work on Sonic the Comic, as well as extended runs with 2000AD, Marvel and The Beano, as well as issues of Spider-Man from 2012. Elson is one of the most popular artists among Boomers, often topping reader polls. His work alongside writer Nigel Kitching is frequently remembered as the best STC ever saw. As a result, Elson was the lone artist on the comic from Issue 170 until the series' demise in Issue 223, contributing all covers in that period. He returned to draw the cover for Issue 256 and provided some original drawings for a competition in the same issue.
Elson told Judge Dredd Megazine #285 in 2009 that Sonic the Comic was a high point of his career: "it felt like we were doing Jack Kirby and Stan Lee things, making up whole new worlds, pretty much ignoring the games and just going off and coming up with loads of mad ****ing ideas all the time."
Elson was co-credited as a writer in Captain Plunder story Shanghaied. He was also responsible for the designs of Lord Sidewinder and his crew, with Kitching only having to come up with personalities to fit the characters' appearances.
- Elson also told Judge Dredd Megazine #285 that he never liked the Sonic games: "this always appalls Sonic fans when you tell then, but I used to play Mario instead; Sonic was *****."
- Issue 7 - Super Sonic
- Issue 8 - The Origin of Sonic
- Issue 9 - Back to Reality
- Issue 10 - Megatox
- Issue 18 to Issue 19 - Casino Night
- Issue 21 to Issue 22 - Girl Trouble
- Issue 23 - Pirates of the Mystic Cave
- Issue 24 to Issue 28 - The Sonic Terminator
- Issue 33 to Issue 34 - Enter Knuckles
- Issue 35 to Issue 36 - Power of the Chaos Emeralds
- Issue 37 to Issue 38 - Robotnik's Revenge
- Issue 45 - Day of the Death Egg
- Issue 47 to Issue 48 - Mystery of the Sandopolis Zone
- Issue 49 to Issue 50 - Count Down to Disaster
- Issue 51 to Issue 53 - Disaster!
- Issue 59 to Issue 62 - The Brotherhood of Metallix
- Issue 63 to Issue 66 - Project Brutus
- Issue 67 to Issue 72 - The Return of Chaotix
- Issue 75 - Smokey and the Badnik
- Issue 76 - The Big Decision
- Issue 77 - Voice of the People
- Issue 78 - Plasma
- Issue 80 to Issue 82 - Running Wild
- Issue 84 to Issue 86 - Heroes & Villains
- Issue 87 - Mister Shifter
- Issue 89 to Issue 90 - The Tomb
- Issue 94 - Eve of Destruction
- Issue 95 - The Big Fight
- Issue 97 to Issue 99 - Doomsday
- Issue 100 - The Final Victory
- Issue 102 - Unnatural Disasters
- Issue 104 to Issue 106 - Flickies' Island
- Issue 108 to Issue 111 - The Evil Empire
- Issue 113 - The Detour
- Issue 114 to Issue 115 - Crisis in the Chemical Plant Zone
- Issue 116 to Issue 118 - Best of Enemies
- Issue 119 - Black Christmas
- Issue 121 to Issue 122 - Hobson & Choy
- Issue 123 to Issue 125 - Order & Chaos
- Issue 126 - The House on the Hill
- Issue 127 to Issue 129 - Robotnik Reigns Supreme
- Issue 130 - Showdown
- Issue 131 to Issue 132 - Shady Characters
- Issue 134 - Back in the Special Zone
- Issue 135 to Issue 138 - Roots
- Issue 140 - The Forgotten Badnik
- Issue 141 - The Haunted Zone
- Issue 143 to Issue 144 - Secret Enemy
- Issue 145 - Child's Play
- Issue 146 to Issue 147 - Earth Attacks
- Issue 149 - Shanazar
- Issue 150 - Robotnik No More?
- Issue 151 - The Mystic Mountain
- Issue 152 - Mountain of Doom
- Issue 153 - Heart of Evil
- Issue 154 - Desert Storm
- Issue 156 to Issue 157 - No Escape
- Issue 158 - Bottled Up!
- Issue 160 - Knightmares
- Issue 161 to Issue 162 - Space Race
- Issue 164 to Issue 165 - Worlds Collide
- Issue 167 - Superzone
- Issue 168 - Mirror Image
- Issue 170 - Spilitzoid
- Issue 171 - Planet in Peril!
- Issue 172 - The Terra Connection
- Issue 173 to Issue 174 - Game Over
- Issue 175 - The Coming of Chaos!
- Issue 176 - What Price Victory?
- Issue 177 - Night Terrors!
- Issue 178 - Splash-Down!
- Issue 179 - Out of Time!
- Issue 180 - Prisoner of War!
- Issue 181 - The Origin of Chaos!
- Issue 182 - War of the Worlds!
- Issue 183 - Perfect Chaos!
- Issue 184 - Point of No Return!
- Sonic the Poster Mag 5 - Ocean of Horror!
To be completed
To be completed