Issue 223 is the two hundred and twentieth-third edition of Sonic the Comic, and the final edition of the comic in print form. Released on the 9th of January 2002 at the price of £1.50, the comic contains a complete reprint of The Evil Empire, an open letter to fans by Nigel Kitching, and a free gift of a compass watch.
- Sonic the Hedgehog - The Evil Empire (from Issue 108 to Issue 111)
- Nigel Kitching's open letter.
- Role Call - A near complete list of everyone who contributed to STC in print form.
The only full feature in this issue is a 2-page letter from Nigel Kitching to STC's fans. Although it was edited in places and was originally set to appear in Issue 200, the article still contains a wealth of history about Kitching's work. The letter covers Nigel's first stories with the comic, moving on to the Sonic CD story arc and Sonic 3 & Knuckles story arc. He also touches on post-100 creations like the Drakon Empire and the death of Johnny Lightfoot.
A small box to the right of the above feature lists many of STC's staff over the years. These include:
- Editors: Richard Burton, Deborah Tate and Audrey Wong
- Designers: Clare Gillmore (spelt incorrectly), Gary Knight, Charles Wrigley, Jason McEvoy, Paul Shubrook and Steve Cook
- Writers: Nigel Kitching, Lew Stringer, Alan McKenzie, Mark Millar and Mark Eyles
- Artists: Richard Elson, Nigel Dobbyn, Anthony Williams, Dermot Power, Mick McMahon (spelt incorrectly), Mike White, Jon Haward, John M Burns, M DJ Boyann, Casanovas, Carl Flint and Roberto Corona
- Letterers: Tom Frame, Steve Potter, Ellie de Ville, Elitta Fell and Gordon Robson
- Other: Jane Ballard and Chris Power
Although the list is extensive, there are some that have been missed out. Jim Alexander missed out from the writing credits, but only penned one story. Steve White is the highest-profile artist omission and Annie Parkhouse is not listed for her single story. Several more editorial team members missed out on a place in the final issue, notably Andy Diggle.
- Managing Editor: Steve MacManus
- Designer: Paul Shubrook
- Product Manager: Nicki Bainbridge
- Marketing Assistant: Jane Ballard
- Cover Artist: Richard Elson