The Emerald Hill Zone is a peaceful, serene greenland area located on South Island. First appearing in Issue 4, the Emerald Hill Zone has been frequently revisited, being one of the major locales on Mobius during the comic's run. It is the home of Sonic the Hedgehog and his group of Freedom Fighters and a frequent target for Doctor Robotnik. This is one of many zones based on stages from the Sonic video games, itself making its first appearance in Sonic the Hedgehog 2.
The Emerald Hill Zone is quite picturesque, dominated by lush, green fields, sparkling lakes and falls and home to a friendly and peaceful community. Palm trees are a common sight in Emerald Hill, as are the stone loops that are seen in numerous zones across Mobius. Even some non-Mobians have heard stories about the Emerald Hill Zone's beauty, spurring wild tales that the fields are paved with real emeralds. While this is not the case, the Chaos Emeralds were once dug out of a hollow hill in this zone, which may be how it got its name. The villagers that live here are known as the Emerald Hill folk.
When Doctor Kintobor arrived on Mobius, he built his laboratory beneath the Emerald Hill Zone. Here, he could enjoy the zone's natural splendor and conduct his research in peace without disturbance to him or the local environment. After Kintobor's tragic transformation into Robotnik, his lab was abandoned. It was soon restored by Sonic the Hedgehog and Porker Lewis and became the Freedom Fighters' base of operations during Robotnik's rule. Not long after, Robotnik completed a victory over Sonic by sending him six months into the future and quickly conquered the Zone. Upon Sonic's return, the area was quickly returned from a labour camp back into its more friendly self. The Freedom Fighters remained in the Zone for another year, hiding in the old laboratory until Robotnik learned of its whereabouts and destroyed it.
Emerald Hill Migration
After the Death Egg crisis had been averted, it became clear that Robotnik had become fixated on wiping out the Emerald Hill Zone. With this in mind, the Freedom Fighters struck a deal with Knuckles the Echidna to relocate the zone's population to the Floating Island. The island was lowered to Mobius's surface and the Emerald Hill folk travelled by boat to the island's Mushroom Hill Zone. They remained in hiding there for some time, leaving their home zone empty (with the exception of Tekno the Canary's secret laboratory). Robotnik and Grimer learned of this exodus soon after and decided to concentrate some of his efforts on other Zones.
The Control Centre
When Dr. Robotnik was deposed, the Emerald Hill Zone was repopulated by its former occupants. Rebuilding was minimal since Robotnik had left the zone alone after its inhabitants had fled to the Floating Island (why he did not destroy the zone anyway out of spite is anyone's guess). When Emerald Hill was repopulated, the Freedom Fighters built themselves a new base there, this time in the village for all to see. It was clear that their services were still required since Robotnik was still at large. The Control Centre has served as the Freedom Fighters' main base ever since Issue 108, until it was destroyed in Issue 250 during Robotnik's massive invasion of Mobius.
Other key events
The Emerald Hill Zone is home to many key and supporting characters, with Amy Rose being introduced as one of the Emerald Hill folk. The Zone may still be home to the ruins of the Carnival Night Zone after Knuckles broke it off the Floating Island. The entire Zone was 'destroyed' during a simulation run by Grimer that saw the Death Egg completely remove the Zone from the map. Some time later, a dragon was found living underneath the Zone, hibernating for hundreds of years. The Drakon Empire chose the Zone as the area to begin an attack on Sonic the Hedgehog, a costly mistake as Sonic used the area's structures to his advantage. Tails valiantly protected the Zone from an attack by Robotnik's Egg Viper, even after the Freedom Fighters were forced to relocate. A look at least eighty tears into the future has revealed that the Zone has been reduced to a barely-inhabitable husk by Super Sonic, now known as the Iblis, where Silver the Hedgehog is one of the last heroes alive to protect the Zone.
Please note that other stories may have occured within Kintobor's Laboratory, Tekno's Workshop and the Control Centre, areas that are also in the Emerald Hill Zone. Similarly, there have been instances where the action takes place in a location that looks like Emerald Hill but hasn't been named.
- Issue 4 - Day of the Badniks
- Issue 8 - The Origin of Sonic
- Issue 9 - Back to Reality
- Issue 12 - Hidden Danger!
- Issue 13 - Double Trouble
- Issue 14 - Hero of the Year
- Issue 15 - The Green Eater
- Issue 16 to Issue 17 - The Nameless Zone
- Issue 17 - Sonic the Human! (actually a human garden)
- Issue 21 - Girl Trouble
- Issue 24 to Issue 25 - The Sonic Terminator
- Issue 26 - Kintobor spelled backwards is...
- Issue 27 - A Tale of Tails
- Issue 28 and Issue 31 - The Morbidden Hunt
- Issue 30 - Metamorphia
- Issue 31 - The Pretender
- Issue 32 - The Unbeatable Foe
- Issue 44 - Carnival Night Conspiracy
- Issue 45 - Day of the Death Egg
- Issue 45 to Issue 47 - Enter the Cybernik
- Issue 52 - Disaster!
- Issue 57 - The Rampage of Mekanik
- Issue 63 - Cybernik Strikes Back
- Issue 94 to Issue 95 - The Monster Wakes
- Issue 95 - Out For A Spin
- Issue 104 - Flickies' Island
- Issue 108 - The Evil Empire
- Issue 111 - Spaced Out
- Issue 112 - Raining Bananas
- Issue 114 to Issue 115 - Crisis in the Chemical Plant Zone
- Issue 117 to Issue 118 - Best of Enemies
- Issue 118 - Face to Face
- Issue 119 - Black Christmas
- Issue 120 - Riot Resolution
- Issue 121 - Breakout
- Issue 122 - Hobson & Choy
- Issue 122 - Root of All Evil
- Issue 125 - Green Envy
- Issue 126 - The House on the Hill
- Issue 128 - Robotnik Reigns Supreme
- Issue 128 - Yesterday's Heroes
- Issue 130 - Showdown
- Issue 131 - Shady Characters
- Issue 135 - The Sky's the Limit
- Issue 140 - The Forgotten Badnik
- Issue 141 - The Skeleton Crew
- Issue 143 - The Goblin Overlords
- Issue 144 - Secret Enemy
- Issue 145 - Dream On
- Issue 145 - Child's Play
- Issue 146 to Issue 147 - Earth Attacks
- Issue 150 - Going Underground
- Issue 165 - Worlds Collide
- Issue 167 - Superzone
- Issue 168 - Mirror Image
- issue 169 - Secret of the Gods
- Issue 170 - Splitzoid
- Issue 171 - Planet in Peril!
- Issue 172 - The Terra Connection
- Issue 173 - Game Over
Sonic the Comic Online
- Issue 224 - Amy vs Tekno
- Issue 226 to Issue 227 - Impressions
- Issue 232 - Return of the Cybernik!
- Issue 233 - Fate of the Special Zone
- Issue 234 - Genesis
- Issue 236 - Unusual Suspect
- Issue 238 - The Big Bang
- Issue 239 - The Inside Story
- 15th Anniversary Special - The Elephant in the Room
- Issue 250 - The Battle For Mobius
- Issue 253 - Tails & The Ultimax
- Issue 254 - Come Crashing Down!
- Issue 255 - Last Hero Standing
- Issue 258 - Seriously Delirious and pin-up
- Issue 261 - To the Hero of Mobius