There are actually three major designs of Coconuts:
- The most famous is the variety that patrolled the Emerald Hill Zone in Sonic the Hedgehog 2. These Badniks waited at the tops of trees, before throwing coconuts at foes with no warning. Destroying them could be tricky, since even touching the coconut they are holding can be fatal. In Sonic the Comic, these Coconuts were actually stationed on the Floating Island, where a trio of them waited to ambush Knuckles the Echidna before they were destroyed by Shortfuse the Cybernik. Both Amy Rose and Porker Lewis dressed as Coconuts enemies when they infiltrated a Badnik Processing Plant until they were discovered by the lizard guard attacking the Emerald Hill folk.
- Kid Cruel owned a different model of Coconuts, specifically designed to use the children of Forest Hills as an organic battery. Blie in colour and not confined to trees, these were also rigged to self-destruct if they were touched.
- A third individual is limited to appearances on Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog and Archie Comics, only making into a feature of Sonic the Poster Mag 1.
The monkey Badniks were referenced much later in Sonic the Comic Online. During the New Robotnik Empire's invasion of Mobius, Robotnik used them to cut off the Jungle Zone. This was mentioned as a part of Robotnik's "long-winded" speech and were not shown.
- Sonic the Poster Mag 3 - The Kid Cruel Caper
- Issue 52 - Knuckles Versus the Cybernik
- Issue 55 to Issue 56 - The Great Escape!
- Issue 65 - pin-up
- Issue 256 - Master of All I Survey (mentioned)
- New to Sonic the Comic? - Panel 4
- Coconuts at Sonic News Network, the Sonic Wiki